The Hotel as a Lighthouse for Sustainability is a living lab focused on testing innovations that reduce the environmental footprint of hotel rooms and encourage sustainable guest behaviour. The living lab will take place in real hotel rooms with hotel guests from all over the world.
This project aims to empower hotels around the world to become agents of sustainable change.
We have two key goals:
- To reduce the environmental footprint of hotels by giving hotel operators access to quality, actionable information on what really works to make hotel rooms more sustainable, and;
- To inspire and nudge pro-environmental behaviour of guests
We will implement and test a variety of sustainability interventions - both technical and behavioural - and measure the impacts on energy use, water use, waste and guest behaviour.
The outcome of the living lab will be high-quality, actionable information for hoteliers to make better sustainability decisions based on:
- Business case
- Ease of implementation of innovations
Are you a hotel owner or operator and would you like to be involved in this project? Contact us!
This project is supported by the Booking Cares Fund. More information about Booking Cares can be found here.
What We Measure
As part of this living lab, we will measure the environmental, economic and social impacts of a range of technological and social sustainability innovations, such as:
- Environmental impacts: changes in energy use, water use, waste, CO2 emissions and air quality
- Guest response and experience: changes to awareness, behaviour and spillover behaviour in the city and at home
- Business case: return on investment and payback period